These Are The Most Common Home Mold Types and Their Health Risks

According to mold prevention Lake Charles experts, some types of indoor mold are toxic. Some can cause health problems, mainly allergies. These symptoms can be worse for young children, older adults, and people with health conditions. According to the CDC, mold exposure can cause health problems. The CDC warns against exposure to indoor molds.

Toxic mold

The presence of toxic mold in your home is a significant health risk. This type of mold can produce mycotoxins, which are minute organic compounds. The toxins are present in airborne particles less than one micron in size. These toxins can irritate the skin and respiratory system and cause allergic reactions and rashes if ingested. People with compromised immune systems should avoid exposure to these molds.

While mold is naturally present in the air, it can also be harmful if it is allowed to grow. Therefore, it is best to hire a professional mold prevention Lake Charles to assess your home for you to determine whether or not it has this mold. Mold testing should include a thorough examination for water damage and an air quality test for airborne spores. These tests usually take an hour or less. You should immediately mitigate the risk if you suspect mold in your home.

Common indoor mold species

Exposure to large amounts of airborne mold spores can produce allergic reactions and asthma attacks. People with weakened immune systems may also develop a severe respiratory illness called allergic bronchopulmonary aspergillosis. In addition, exposure to airborne mold spores is a common source of poor indoor air quality, which can cause health problems for those with underlying medical conditions. Exposure to certain mold species may also cause health complications, such as the production of mycotoxins, which can be highly harmful to people with respiratory illnesses.

To minimize the risk of mold exposure, homeowners should aim to keep the humidity levels in their homes below 60%. In addition, regular cleaning can significantly reduce the risk of mold growth. When cleaning, use a suitable cleaning product to remove visible mold. After cleaning, lightly spray the area with water mist to prevent the mold spores from returning. You should apply antifungal paint if the mold is present on porous surfaces.

Exposure to mold spores

High mold spores in the air can cause several adverse reactions, including allergic reactions and asthma episodes. These irritants can also cause symptoms in the eyes, nose, and respiratory system. High mold levels can also lead to respiratory problems and sinus congestion. In addition, people with compromised immune systems are more susceptible to developing serious infections of the lungs. These complications may be more severe than those caused by spores.

People with respiratory problems, those who work in damp buildings, and those who live in homes that are not well-ventilated are particularly vulnerable to mold-related illness. However, it is difficult to test for mold levels in a home without causing additional damage to your health. Moreover, mold counts vary from season to season, so testing for mold is not recommended. Nonetheless, it is essential to keep your home clean, as excessive exposure to mold can lead to health complications.

Health risks

If you are concerned about the amount of mold in your home, you may want to check the symptoms of various mold-related diseases to determine if they’re an issue for you. For example, yellow mold grows on wooden surfaces and food and is often present in bathrooms, walls, and tiles. People with immune system disorders or respiratory issues find yellow mold hazardous. Green mold, on the other hand, can cause serious health problems. These molds produce toxins known as mycotoxins, which can cause respiratory infections and watery eyes.

To determine the presence of mold in your home, you need to hire a professional. A mold inspection service provider can perform a thorough water damage inspection and test for airborne spores. Typically, the process takes about an hour or less. You can also conduct a visual review of your home to identify if it has a mold problem. Performing visual inspections is an effective way to detect a mold problem before it spreads throughout your home.